11 June 2007

Heart Quilt

First all the hearts on the normal way, reverse applique and after that feather stitch with Sassa Lynne Jumbo perle fine thread, color Hampshire clay.
Detail photo from the quilt top. You can click on the photos to enlarge.


The quilt top is ready. 112 x 132 cm. 44,8 x 52,8 inch.

I have made a quilt top from a part of the hearts I have swapped during the last year.
I have added two hearts made by myself.

First I have reverse appliqued the hearts with normal sewing thread. After that I have done a feather stitch on top to make it stronger.

This quilt is for a little girl, about 5, 6, years old.

I didn't use the hearts with SRE on it, because I think it will be disappointing when you get a quilt and it becomes damaged after very short time in use.

In the USA there is an organisation founded by Sue Nebeker which collect quilt for soldiers who come back, wounded, from a war.

But also she collect quilts for children who lost their daddy in a war, f.e. in Iraq.
This organisation will finish this quilt with batting, binding and quilting.

To make a point: I am against any war ! and special the Iraq war.

But all those children without a dad in the future deserve a comfort quilt.

I really hope that this quilt with all the butterflies on it and a butterfly border will give a little girl a little comfort in her sad and sorrow days.

21 comments:

Gerry said...

Oh, Ati this quilt is so pretty. You did a wonderful job putting it together. Love borders and stitches around each heart. I'm also very flattered that mine is among them.

Virgi said...

Wow, Ati, the quilt is amazing!
it is inspirational.

Susan said...

Ati! That is just gorgeous! Thank you so much for making it. It has to bring great comfort. I know Sue will find just the right little girl for it!

Sandie said...

Hello Ati, your quilt top is beautiful and I am sure the girls who's hearts are in it will be very proud knowing how this quilt will be used ....
Sandie

crazyQstitcher said...

Ati the quilt is so lovely and some little girl will be so happy to own it. I love the reverse appplique and feather stitch.
Maureen

Anonymous said...

How Beautiful! How did you frame the hearts with the fabric???

lil

Hideko Ishida 石田英子 said...

Ati,your hearts quilt is beautiful. It must be a very good way to use the swapped hearts.

Jo in NZ said...

Ati, your heart quilt is just wonderful!!! It is great to see that someone actually did this. I am always FULL of great ideas, but as usual, I haven't actually DONE anything about it. Which reminds me that I have some hearts I can take to a meeting tonight to back and turn...
Thanks for the inspiration, I am going to finish my donation quilt...one day...LOL

Anonymous said...

HI Ati

Det blev smukt, jeg er sikker på den lille pige ville passe på det, som en Skat.

Du har syet mange flotte ting, er du i en ATC gruppe?
Klem Kate

Renea said...

Ati
This brings tears to my eyes. I have been in contact with Sue and I am in the process of making 2 quilts to donate.

she did not talk about the quilts for the children.

War is such a sad, emotional terrible thing. I do support all of those who are in associated with our military.

I would like to post this entry on my blog. Please let me know if that is okay with you.

Maddie Can Fly said...

Beautiful quilt and even better, your wishes and hope put into it. I know any little girl would love this quilt.

Margreet said...

Hallo Ati,
Wat een mooie quilt is het geworden.
En wat heb je een goed doel gekozen!
Inderdaad oorlog is waanzin!
Yes indeed war is madness!
Margreet.

Charlene said...

Ati, the quilt is beautiful, but pales in comparison to your heart. I am sure some little girl will love this pretty in pink with butterflies quilt. You are a dear lady!

Ribbonwiz said...

Ati this quilt is so pretty, what a lovely thing to do! You have a beautiful kind heart too!
There is going to be a very happy little girl out there when she receives your quilt..
I have so many hearts too that i would like to do something like this.
Thank you for the inspiration...

Angel said...

Absolutely stunning quilt. Very gorgeous.

Thelma said...

Very beautiful quilt Ati!

katiejayinpa said...

Ati, this is such a thoughtful and loving thing to do....and so like you too i think. the quilt is lovely and to tell the truth,i am sure it will be loved into tatters.

Sandie said...

Beautiful Ati, not doubt your quilt will be much treasured and loved. It is stunning..........

corina said...

Beautiful and full of real love!

June said...

Ati,
I looked at this quilt the other day and it has stuck in my mind. I just love the way you used the reverse applique. Great idea and very pretty.

Carmen said...

I love the crazy, yor work is very pretty