12 September 2009

vegetable harvest

Today my DH has picked the last runner beans from the kitchen garden.
After cleaning I have cut them in slices with the same knife my mother , grandmother and great-grandmother have used before me!

The knife is made in 1882 and still in good condition. The blade is not the same size as before, because of the many times it has been sharpened.


Here the result from this summer. From left to right: runner beans, green beans and garden beans.
We have had a bad summer to grow vegetables, so the result is not as much as we are used too.

10 comments:

Murgelchen94 said...

Now, you have hungry this winter.
I send a paket. Hi, hi, hi...
LG,
Helga

Lurline said...

It all looks wonderful to me!
Hugs - Lurline♥

Ruth said...

Oj, du er jammen flink. Her blir det mange gode måltid.

mieke noor said...

Hey Ati, what a beautiful but strange looking knife that Mastenbrook knife is. How do you use that with that thing beside it? And the beans do you pickle them with salt or with sour?

Lise said...

Så mye godt!! Og hvilken kniv.Her går det i tyttebær for tiden....

Charlene said...

Beautiful stitching, but I must ask about this knife. I know it is SO special to you, using after your Mother AND Grandmother. I have never seen on with the 'attachment'. What is that used for?

Yitte said...

Wat een werk Ati!! Dit weekend moet ik ook an de slag met de opbrengst van de tuin, bonen, wortels en bieten.

Rengin Yazitas said...

Great work, Ati,
I have a knife, called as kitchen devil. I keep precisely since 27 years. If I lose it I really don't know what I do!!!
Love,
Rengin

libbyquilter said...

seeing your preserved beans and plums is as satisfying as seeing my own recently preserved tomatoes and zuchinni pickles~!!~ it's so good to have these things on the pantry shelf:a taste of summer goodness when the cold winds are blowing the deep snows~!!!~

:)
libbyQ

PatStudio said...

wonderful post. i really enjoyed reading about your canning process the using the same knife that has cut vegetables for generations in your family!