29 December 2009

between Christmas and the new year


The last week I have been quiet, there was not so much news. I was knitting and reading.
Knitted 2 pair of fingerless gloves.
Above the pair I call: "picking berries", because of the color.
Below the pair I call "ocean waves".
I have used 'Frost yarn from Gjesdal, made in Norway. 75% super-wash wool,25% polyamide.
Knitted round on 4 needles 2,5 mm.
You can click on the photos to see them large.



I also read a book, original title: the Island by Victoria Hislop.
I liked it very much. It is a nice story, inter waved with history about an little island near Crete ( Greece). DH and I visited Crete late september 1986 for 11 days. We rented a car and have seen all the interesting places but also little villages on the country side.
When reading the book everything came back, the warmth of the earth, the friendly people we met in the little villages who didn't speak one word English but tried to help us with everything we want.The smell of the food, the ouzo, sweet grapes, the little cups of very strong sweet coffee.
We have been in all the places named in the book, visited also the island Spinalónga. We stayed in an little apartment in Ájos Nikólaos.
Therefore I could imagine a bit how it have been living there.
A good book for one who likes a novel combined with a bit of history.
The island Spinalónga was a leprosy colony from 1903 until 1957.





No comments: