30 October 2011

mother-book page

This is my mother. The photo was taken when she was about 30 years old.
My mother made bobbin lace when she was young and I added a piece of one of her hankies with lace ( on the left page) and on the right page a quarter of her "well-used" doilies.
 She also sewed all of her clothes and the clothes for us children.
 Therefore there were many bits and pieces left when she died.
 I took all with me, not knowing that I, on one day, should make this :)
The fabrics on both pages are from her clothes. The left pages fabrics have been pyjamas.
 And a page of my "poesie" poetry album, where she wrote a poem to me when I was 8 years old.
The painted button is made by Gerry K. I got it from her a long time ago when I had sent her much tiny,tiny beads from my mothers stock.
It is a painting from the farmhouse my parents lived in, in the Netherlands.
 Now Gerry,the button has come to its place :-) Thank you again!

15 comments:

fabriquefantastique said...

so touching.

Doreen G said...

What a fabulous book Ati and to think that you had all these wonderful pieces to make it with.

T's Daily Treasures said...

Ati, both pages are so very beautiful, filled with so many memories, and a lovely tribute to your mother. Wishing you a wonderful day. Tammy

Helga said...

So wonderful memories and a wonderful tribute to your mother.
LG,
Helga

Hannie said...

Ook weer heel bijzonder deze pagina. Wat mooi toch om al deze persoonlijke herinneringen en dingetjes van haar te maken tot een prachtig geheel!

Heavens2Betsy said...

What a tender and moving tribute to your Mother. To have all those fragments of her life placed and displayed lovingly in this way is really special. penny

Gerry Krueger said...

I was so excited to see the button has such a lovely home... I'm a little behind on my blog reading but did get the one with the wonderful bread... I love baking also.... Hugs Gerry

Janny de Roo said...

Een juweeltje Ati !

Suztats said...

How wonderful to have so many bits and pieces from your mother's hands to use in this creation! It's beautiful!

Carol said...

I was going to say I am speechless, but a better description is "choked up". Its such a marvelous book with pieces of your memories so lovingly assembled. A true work of love.
xx, Carol

Lynda said...

That is a beautiful tribute to your mother.

You live in such a beautiful place! Your garden and yard are wonderful. I could almost smell the jam cooking and the bread baking.

I am amazed at people who can make socks. I have wanted to take a class for quite some time now. When I wanted to sign up the instructor said it might be a good idea for me to take a refresher class on knitting and crocheting first. Maybe some day when I retire from working.

Susan Elliott said...

Her bobbin lace is so delicate. And the poem she wrote to you reminded me of the one my Mom wrote for me when I was about the same age. It's a wonderful way of honoring all that was your Mom. I love this kind of needlework...meaningful, personal and poignant.

Norma Soulet (AZArtist) said...

Hi Ati,
What a lovely page to remember your Mother. That is great that you had all those things that belonged to her.
Hugs

Lottie said...

What a wonderful book of memories this is turning into - not only celebrating the work of your family - but creating a gorgeous work of art to be treasured for years to come.

I love the little personal suspender.

suziqu's thread works said...

Dear Ati
This is just so beautiful and such a keepsake and a treasure to hand down!
Hugs,
Suzy