21 November 2011

great-grandmother

Here is a new double page for my "mother" book.
This is my great-grandmother, the mother of my grandmother.
She lived in the east part of the Netherlands. She was born and raised up in a poor family which lived in a peat cottage. My mother told me that a long time ago.
She married in 1891 to Jan Koning which was a house painter.
This great grandmother got 12 children. One little boy drowned when he was 8 years old and one little girl was still born. Ten children grew up, my grandmother was the second child.
On the left page I have used the original pillow sheet fabric which was used for straw mattresses.
( the blue striped one) I also made two buttonholes by hand to go with the vintage buttons.
The fabrics on the right page are all vintage, except for the little dark grey triangle which is a replica.

9 comments:

Hannie said...

Ook weer een heel bijzondere pagina! Wat fijn, dat je al die dingen die aan haar herinneren nog hebt en zo mooi kunt verwerken!

Heavens2Betsy said...

Very beautifully put together out of love. A wonderful project Ati. penny

Doreen G said...

Another fabulous page Ati--congratulations.

Susan Elliott said...

My goodness! What a strong woman! 12 children in a peat cottage...you have a very strong woman in you, my dear. It's a lovely tribute to her...and I love the ticking detail...

MulticoloredPieces said...

Your project is just great. So powerful with the stories of the women of your family. I just really like your pages. I'm always impressed by the strength of women.
best, nadia

Anonymous said...

Dear Ati!
I adore the pages of your "mother" book. They are a journey into the past.
Thank you for showing us this part of your family.
Congrats,
Eva from Austria

Fabric Art said...

Ati thanks for sweet comment on my book, love your pages with your great-grandmother, sounds like she was a strong and an amazing woman, your crazy patchwork are wonderful.
Hugs Anni

suziqu's thread works said...

Ati I so love this crazy quilted little book. What a wonderful great grandmother she was and I can really see the resemblance in you.
That matress fabric is amazing and you still have some?
I am so looking forward to seeing all the pages put together.
Gorgeous and special!
Love and hugs
Suzy

Lottie said...

Just heavenly