08 February 2013

the day of the broken needles

Today, 8 February, is the day of the broken needles.
For 2 years ago I made a needle book in a class teached by Susan Elliot.
I have used it since.
The last page in that needle book is for the broken needles.
They have served me a long time but suddenly there was a moment that they broke.
I have saved them in my needle book and it was the meaning that I should bury them today.
But because of the frost in the ground and the snow I have to do it later this year or wait to next year.
In Japan every year is a ceremony to honour the needles which have been used and are broken.
 They place them in a piece of tofu and bury them later.
Everything has a soul and should be handled with respect, they believe.

last page
my needle book


11 comments:

tiny said...

Wat een idee, om de gebroken naalden te begraven. Is daar een reden of een bijgeloof voor? Je hebt wel een heel mooi naaldenboekje gemaakt. Fijn weekend Tiny

Hannie de Beer said...

Een bijzonder idee. In Japan doet men meestal niet zomaar iets Altijd met een achterliggende gedachte, heel speciaal!

Susan Elliott said...

A beautiful post Ati. I have the same problem today. Too much bad weather to dig into the soil...maybe tomorrow. Or maybe we should be influenced by Cathy's post where she has kept them in her needlebook with their "friends". I hope you have a year full of blessed needles and beautiful stitching, xo Susan

Susan Elliott said...

Oops. I meant to say Ann's post. Not Cathy. Sorry.

Katherine Wolak said...

that is just the sweetest idea EVER! Love love it!

Hugs,

margaret said...

a beautiful case Ati

Johanna Faber said...

Wat mooi Ati
Wat een aparte gedachte hebben de Japanners, ze denken overal over na!
Fijn weekeinden uit een noodweer Zweden
liefs Joke

Janny de Roo said...

Ik zou er niet aan beginnen, ben veel te bang dat ik er ooit weer in grijp, bij het wieden of zo....Zo bijzonder, als die Japanners denken....
Leuk naaldenboekje Ati, ik was het bijna vergeten te vermelden....

Ineke Hulzebos said...

Wat een prachtige gedachte om de gebroken naalden te begraven, maar ik zou ze ook netjes bewaren in zo'n mooi naaldenboekje!
Liefs, Ineke

Anonymous said...

Today, I went to the beach with my kids. I found a sea shell and gave it to my 4
year old daughter and said "You can hear the ocean if you put this to your ear." She placed the shell to her
ear and screamed. There was a hermit crab inside and it pinched her ear.
She never wants to go back! LoL I know this is totally off topic
but I had to tell someone!

Also visit my page: he has a good point

Anonymous said...

You can alѕo buу bundle ԁeals, ωhich most radіo statіons
offer, tо dеcrеasе the οvегall аd coѕt.

Yet another way to construсt a dеνiсe to harnеѕѕ eneгgу frоm raԁio wаνеs
is using an antenna, connectеd to a sегieѕ of diοdeѕ аnd a сapaсitor bank thаt is еarthed.
It is a morе reliablе choіcе when compared to trаditіonal
concrеte or wοoԁen barrierѕ for sеѵeгal
rеasons.

My page; http://www.k1100rs.de
my page :: gratis spiele